As someone who used to work in Cottage Grove I am very familiar what this town has to offer. To this day it is still one of my favorite Daycation spots. When I go I usually like to hit up the Backstage Bakery for breakfast because they have “hands down” the best biscuits and gravy in Lane County. The Inhat Brothers definitely don’t mess around when it comes to creating a menu your grand’ma would’ve been proud of. You will find all of your favorite classics on there, including a great cup of coffee!
After breakfast, head over to one of my favorite vintage stores 5 Flying Monkeys, their prices and collection can’t be beat. They have a unique blend of antiques and funky thrift store items that will keep you busy for hours. Next door is the Crafty Mercantile an original shop for those of you who love creating your own arts and crafts at home. Not only do they have everything you need to stay busy in the studio, they also provide plenty of inspiration, and work space in the store. If you are a bookworm you are in luck Cottage Grove has 3 of the coolest bookstores in the area. Kalapuya Books is located next to the Backstage Bakery, Bookmine across the street also doubles as a jewelry store and plant shop. Not even a stones throw away is a friendly priced used bookstore called Books on Main.
For lunch I will usually go to Jack Sprats a great little cafe that I think is one of the true hidden gems in Cottage Grove, or Buster’s Main Street Cafe. They both have excellent Reuben sandwiches, and they are only about 2 blocks away from each other. After lunch I like to drive by a few of their famous covered bridges before heading home https://traveloregon.com/things-to-do/trip-ideas/scenic-drives/cottage-grove-covered-bridge-tour-route/
There are many other great places to visit in Cottage Grove, this is just a few of my personal favorites. Please visit the CG Chamber of Commerce to find out more information about all the great places it has to offer http://www.cgchamber.com/
So the next time you are planning a day trip, consider our neighbors to south and visit one of these hidden treasures!
Eugene has gathered quite the reputation for being home to some of the best breweries in the world. However, I don’t hear anyone whining about our local wineries either. Wine Enthusiast Magazine awarded the Williamette Valley as the Wine Region of the Year in 2016. Known for it’s New World Pinot Noir, the Williamette Valley has been influencing wine drinkers everywhere to have an open mind to new ideas.
Here is a complete list of the wineries in Lane County that have helped the region earn the honor.
-Brigadoon Wine Company– 25167 Ferguson Rd, Junction City, OR 97448 http://www.brigadoonwineco.com
-Pfeiffer Winery– 25040 Jaeg Rd, Junction City, OR 97448 http://www.pfeifferwinery.com/
-Walnut Ridge Winery– 94739 Turnbow Ln, Junction City, OR 97448 http://www.walnutridgevineyard.com/
-High Pass Winery– 24757 Lavell Rd, Junction City, OR 97448 http://www.highpasswinery.com/
-Rain Song Vineyard– 92989 Templeton Rd, Cheshire, OR 97419 http://rainsongvineyard.com/
-Bennett Vineyards and Wine Company– 25974 OR-36, Cheshire, OR 97419 https://www.bennettvineyardsor.com/
-LaVelle Vineyards– 89697 Sheffler Rd, Elmira, OR 97437 http://www.lavellevineyards.com/
-Valhalla Winery– 23785 OR-126, Veneta, OR 97487 http://www.valhallawinery.com/
-Sarver Winery– 25600 Mayola Ln, Eugene, OR 97402 http://www.sarverwinery.com/
-Noble Estate Vineyard and Winery– 29210 Gimpl Hill Rd, Eugene, OR 97402 https://nobleestatewinery.com/
-Abbelone Vineyard– 85505 Christensen Rd, Eugene, OR 97405 http://abbelonewine.com/
-Sweet Cheeks Winery– 27007 Briggs Hill Rd, Eugene, OR 97405 http://sweetcheekswinery.com
-Silvan Ridge Winery– 27012 Briggs Hill Rd, Eugene, OR 97405 http://silvanridge.com/
-Iris Vineyards– 82110 Territorial Hwy, Eugene, OR 97405 https://www.irisvineyards.com/
-King Estate Winery– 80854 Territorial Hwy, Eugene, OR 97405 https://www.kingestate.com/
-Chateau Lorane– 27415 Siuslaw River Rd, Lorane, OR 97451 http://www.chateaulorane.com/
-Saginaw Vineyards– 80247 Delight Valley School Rd, Saginaw, OR 97424 https://www.saginawvineyard.com/
-Eugene Wine Cellars– 255 Madison St, Eugene, OR 97402 http://www.eugenewinecellars.com/index.html
-Territorial Vineyards and Wine Company– 907 W 3rd Ave, Eugene, OR 97401 http://territorialvineyards.com/
-Oregon Wine Labs– 488 Lincoln St, Eugene, OR 97401 http://www.oregonwinelab.com/
-Capitello Wines– 540 Charnelton St, Eugene, OR 97401 http://www.capitellowines.com/
-J. Scott Cellars– 520 Commercial St Unit G, Eugene, OR 97402 https://www.jscottcellars.com/
-Hayworth Estate Wines– 92075 Powerline Rd, Eugene, OR 97408 https://www.hayworthestatewines.com/
If you would like to plan a trip to one or several of these fine establishments please visit http://www.southwillamettewineries.com/plan-your-trip/
or if you would like to be escorted about town so you don’t have to worry about designating a driver go to http://www.corkandbarreltours.com/
Leave your favorite Williamette Valley winery experience in the comments…
I was a little surprised when I saw the Best of Eugene Weekly article that boasted the 3 best burgers in town, and none of my favorites made the list. So I decided to create my own list, I would love to hear about your favorite burger in the comment section below!
- The Meiji Burger– Under valued because of it’s size the Meiji Burger is my personal favorite. It is served on an English Muffin with Japanese pickles, lettuce, onion, and house-made fries. You can taste the quality of the ingredients they use, including the 100% Organic Grass-fed Angus beef! https://www.izakayameiji.com/#menu
2. The Chow Burger– They have their meat ground fresh everyday, and also bake their own buns. Not to mention they pay homage to the Simpsons with their original name “Moes”. They infuse their bacon with maple syrup, to make every burger a foodies’ delight. If you are a fan of the Artisan Burger you have to try this place! https://openmenu.com/restaurant/d52f5540-8a01-11e2-823b-00163eeae34c
3) The Planktown Burger– I always get the Bacon Irish Cheddar Burger, it comes with an 8 oz patty with bacon, Irish cheddar, tomato, lettuce, pickled onion and creamy horseradish sauce. If you haven’t been to Planktown yet I would make plans to go tonight! http://planktownbrewing.com/menu.html
4. The Board Burger– Michael Autry the owner of Board Restaurant describes their burger as knee deep cattle beef, aged cheddar, arugula, red onion and chipotle bacon jam on a brioche. Be sure and save room for their potato wedge fries with the house made chipotle ketchup! http://www.boardrestaurant.com/menu/
5. The Cornucopia Burger– This burger could have easily been higher on the list, most of you already know they boast the best burger in Eugene via the Eugene Weekly’s “Best of” readers poll. My favorite burger on their menu is the Jeros Bacon Cheese Burger with crisp bacon, your choice of cheese, red onions, and mayo it is a force to be reckoned with! Visit their menu to see the full list of their famous burgers https://www.cornucopiaeugene.com/menu/#award-winning-burgers-vurgers
To see who the other winners were in the Eugene Weekly Best of 2017 visit http://www.eugeneweekly.com/20161103/lead-story/best-eugene-readers-poll-2016-2017